Fishtail braid: Women all over the world wish to flaunt excellent hairstyles irrespective of their hair type and length. Of all the hairstyles, the fishtail braid is famous among women all over the world.
A fishtail braid is a type of hairstyle that involves weaving different strands of hair together to create a flawless and intricate appearance. Though it is good to fishtail braid a simple ponytail, one of the most common types of a fishtail braid is the French style.
This hairstyle begins at the crown of the head and is indeed a chic hairstyle that is ideal for many occasions. Once people learn how to create the look, they will always find it useful. Though the fishtail braids are not as complicated as it seems, creating the first look can be a little tricky and confusing.
The ultimate aim of this tutorial is to help people learn and create this killer hairstyle by themselves every single day. After reading through this tutorial, it will be possible to recreate the style with one hand over and over again in no time at all.
- 1 Different fishtail braids
- 2 Easy ways to flaunt the fishtail braid style:
- 3 How to do a fishtail braid on yourself
Different fishtail braids
Everyone will surely love this chic braid and we are here to show you how to master this killer skill. Braids are generally popular hairstyles and the fishtail braid is one of the most stylish hairstyle options available for women.
One important specialty of this braid is that it can be worn at many places and suits a number of outfits, such as summer festivals, winter brunch, parties, etc. though this fishtail braid looks intimidating and intricate, it is actually a lot easier to create than one might think. There are different types of fishtail braids such as Dutch style, African style, French style, etc.
Dutch fishtail braid
The simple side fishtail braid from the original Dutch hairstyles is a fantastic option for late evening parties and for some fun get together with friends and family. This hairstyle involves creating a Dutch Braid around the hairline before completing it with a fishtail braided ponytail. In order to create the Dutch braid,
it is important to begin the section of hair on the larger side of the side part. Then, it is good to braid the hair as one would want a regular fishtail braid except for the pieces which should pass underneath instead of over the top. It is also important to collect more hair as one goes. After braiding the top of the hair, then it is easy to finish the braid with a regular fishtail braid ponytail.
French fishtail braid:
This is pretty simple to create and requires a rattail comb, bobby pin, hairband, and a medium hold hairspray. Step by step French fishtail braid goes as follows,
- · The part on the right side and pick up a section of hair on the heavy side, and divide it into three pieces.
- · Cross the right strand over the middle and cross the left strand over the middle again
- · Combine and middle and right strand together
- · Take a small piece from the right side, cross it over the left and pick a new session, later cross it over to the left side
- · Take a piece of hair from the left, cross it over to the right. Pick a new section and cross it over to the right side
- · Now do one stitch of a braid without adding any new pieces
- · Then cross a piece from the right over to the left, add a new section into the braid
- · Later cross a piece from the right over to the left, add a new section into the braid
- · Cross a piece from the leftover to the right, pick up a section and cross it over to the right.
- · Then do one stitch of the braid without adding in any new pieces.
- · Repeat the steps until the hair is brought in from above to that of the left year.
- · Continue braiding the hair a little further down and slide a bobby pin at the bottom.
- · Combine all the hair together into a ponytail and tie it off with a hairband.
- · Secure the style with a hair spray
Easy fishtail braid for short hair
The best part of these fishtail braid hairstyle is that they are not only for long hair but goes great with short hair as well. Even short hair people can flaunt the chick style of the fishtail braid.
There are a number of options and variations of the regular fishtail braid that goes great with short hair strands. Those who have a small fishtail braid can try extending it from the hairline back. Also, half-up hairstyle with fishtail braids also goods excellent and fantastic on short strands as it does on long locks.
For those who are trying something fancier, it is a good idea to try a fishtail updo. While a fishtail crown style seems difficult to create, it is indeed relatively easy in reality. The style makes up for an incredible look at the cropped locks as well.
Easy ways to flaunt the fishtail braid style:
Placement is the key when it comes to the fishtail braid for beginners. It should not start at the top of the head and the best classic look is to position the braid at the center of the head and near the nape of the neck. The trendier option is to do it off to the side.
· Relaxed hands: One important step to remember while making the fishtail braid is that, relaxed hands will produce better braids. Also, it is good to remember to tug gently, else the stylist has to start over from the beginning if they happen to pull a big piece out.
· Dirty head: Dirty and oily hair renders a better grip for braiding. We need to admit the fact that dirty hair is always easy to manipulate. By dirty hair, we mean hair that has not been washed for a day or two. Clean hair tends to slide out of the braid, especially with looser styles.
· Extensions: A long fishtail braid looks trendy and is pleasing for the eye as well. But we can’t expect everyone to have such long hair, so it is always good to fake the style with some extensions.
· Texture: depending on the type of the braid, be it African fishtail braid, French fishtail braid or Dutch fishtail braid, it is mandatory to use different products to enhance its texture. Matte texture sprays help in rendering the perfect texture and proportion. It is possible to get a wispy and a romantic look with the help of Oribe dry texturizing spray, that leaves the hair with a matte and slightly fuzzy feel.
How to do a fishtail braid on yourself
Some tips to perform the DIY fishtail braid by self are as follows,
· While braiding, ensure to pull the braid tight. For, if it gets loose, it might fall out or appear messy.
· Make sure to keep the hair sections even so as to achieve a neat braid. It is good to take half an inch of hair while creating a regular fishtail braid.
· These braids look great on second-day hair. If the hair is extremely clean, then use some texturizing powder to get the desired grip.
· It is also a good idea to dust strands of hair with dry shampoo for some additional grip.
· It is up to the stylist to either leave the braid as such for a neat and polished look or to gently pull the pieces apart for a soft and ethereal appearance.
· Those who prefer a wide and a loose fishtail braid, then they have to slightly pull the braided sections loser as they go.
· It is always better to get a tight braid first and then to tousle it later, rather than to make a loose braid right from the scratch.
· Do not get frustrated if you are not getting it at first. Try with smaller pieces of hair and slowly go bigger. It is also beneficial to try with threads and strings rather than with real hair in the first place.
· The French Fishtail braid is ideal for short and layered hair. Ensure that the hair is firm and not slippery.
Frequently asked questions about the fish tail braid
1. What are the different types of fishtail braids available for styling?
The different types of fishtail braids are,
- · Half up and half down fishtail braid
- · Braided side fishtail
- · Thick fishtail braid pony
- · African fishtail braid
- · Dutch fishtail braid
- · French fishtail braid.
2. How should the hair be conditioned for a perfect fish braid?
Hair that has not been washed for two or three days makes perfect fish braids. Clean hair tends to go slippery and off the hand and will not render the desired grip for a perfect braid.
3. What is the difference between a braid and a plait?
The main difference between the two is that a braid is a complex structure or pattern that is formed by interlacing three or more strands of hair. A plait is also a form of a braid but is simple in nature and is pretty simple to wear.